Health + Beauty
-It’s not likely that you have “messed up” your metabolism with repeated dieting. The research just doesn’t support that theory.
-The “starvation response” theory exaggerates the effect of severe calorie restriction on resting metabolic rate (the number of calories you burn at rest). Underfed populations do not get fat.
- Exercise, unless it is very intense, thereby creating a higher PEOC (post exercise oxygen consumption) does not impact resting metabolic rate. You burn more calories while you’re exercising but that doesn’t impact calorie burn when you’re not.
Mammogram: A few moments of compression is well worth the benefit of detecting breast cancer, the most common cancer in women. Newer digital mammograms are better than the older films, with computer programs that help the radiologist find subtle abnormalities. Get a mammogram every year, starting at age forty—earlier if your mother or sister had breast cancer before fifty.
Comparison to previous mammograms is key. If you change facilities, transfer your old studies.
Many women get called back after their mammogram for extra pictures. Don’t panic—most of the time everything turns out fine.
1.) Don’t save your steps, multiply them! Instead of driving your car around in circles to find a close spot, purposefully park far away and walk the couple extra feet. Do you know burning a mere 50 extra calories a day equates to five pounds a year?! Burn those calories creatively; think thrice about using interoffice mail, walk that memo to your coworker’s office. Take an extra few laps around the block at lunchtime, take the long way home when walking your dog at night. The principle is to squeeze as much physical exertion as possible during a few intervals a day into what were once routine tasks tied to avoiding any physical efforts.
2.) Incorporate simple resistance movements into your daily routine. Use your own body weight as resistance wherever possible. Isometric exercises, discreet but effective, are very French. This can be done before you even leave the house in the morning. For example, while waiting in traffic or on the subway, contract your abs for 12 seconds with your back pressed against the seat (it’s better for you than road rage). When reading a magazine at home, try sitting on the floor with your legs stretched and apart in a V and your hands on each side; this is a great stretch for your inner thigh muscles.
Let’s face it, most of us carry around some extra padding around the abdominal area. We can cite a variety of reasons for this. It may be the result of a lapse in diet/exercise routine. Gains from pregnancy may be difficult if not impossible to remove. There are certainly individuals who have a tendency to deposit fat in the abdominal area and have done so since their youth. Regardless of the underlying reason, sometimes diet and exercise are just not enough to slim the waistline. This is a common scenario I see in my practice. Liposuction and tummy tuck are our basic tools to address the problem. But how do you know which one is right for you? It really comes down to the quantity and quality of your skin. Liposuction removes fat cells only and does not dramatically tighten the skin (even with the much touted laser liposuction). Those who have a large roll of skin/fat would not be good candidates for liposuction alone. Consequently, those who have loose/hanging skin (especially true of the post-pregnancy belly) but relatively low degree of fat would not benefit from liposuction. Tummy tuck is the procedure of choice in those cases. Tummy tuck removes the extra skin AND fat and subsequently is a great choice for reshaping the abdomen. Liposuction is perfect for the abdomen that has some fatty fullness but still has relatively good skin elasticity (and no large/hanging rolls of skin and fat). When the fat is suctioned away, the skin can adapt to the new shape. In some cases, liposuction is done in conjunction with a tummy tuck.
2. Liquid Facelift: BOTOX® Cosmetic is the most popular non-surgical medical procedure today. Attain uplifted facial features and an instantly enhanced facial fill when combining BOTOX® and Juvéderm®, the number one FDA-approved filler.
3. Silicone Gel Breast Implants: Sorry saline! Just in time for summer, silicone makes a safe comeback for everyone. Whether genetics, time or children have taken a toll on your breasts, achieve natural-looking cleavage with silicone implants.
4. ProFractional™ Laser: Spare a weekend and salvage your skin. ProFractional™ gently distributes micro-spherical holes deep into tissue, replenishing collagen and improving skin tone, texture and acne scars.
5. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Laser: Transform lackluster skin into porcelain-doll perfection. This bright light therapy is capable of reversing signs of aging including sun damage, rosacea, redness and broken vessels.
6. Broad Spectrum Sunblock: SPF alone does not block the UVA rays infamous for causing hyperpigmentation. Broad spectrum sunblock provides both red and brown protection. Our favorites include Neutrogena Helioplex® and La Roche-Posey Anthelios SX®.
“I asked a local village hairdresser if she would do it, and thought what the hell,” she says. “She did a great job. I love it. It’s easy. I now just wake up and run my fingers through my hair, as it’s a just-got-out-of-bed look — after a great night in bed, of course!”
What do you think?
Read the whole story on www.peoplestylewatchcom
- Breast Health
- Gimme Some Of That Brown Fat Please
- A Real Life, Non-Surgical Alternative to Liposuction
- Summer Skin Essentials
- Don’t be messing with my Testosterone
- Get Your Facial Today!
- Conversation with Selena Brown, Modern Mom and Nurse
- Live Free or Diet!
- Roger Mack - Fitness Guru - Spills the Beans
- Finally, Stem cells to grow bigger breasts
- Bottled Water Bad, Boxed Water Really Good
- Yoga: An intense workout or a way to relax?
- Exclusive IAM Interview - Beauty Inside and Out with Dr.OZ
- Do You Want To Get Slimmer, Stronger and Healthier?
- Revitalize Your Total Body- Treat cellulite, detoxify & strengthen muscles
- FabulousToes for a Fabulous Spring
- 10 Tips to Dress Fabulously during Pregnancy
- Braces: An Affordable Investment
- Get Every Mole Checked Out