Deadline: June 15, 2013
Home/Design, Build, Decorate
Deadline: August 15, 2013
QUICK REFERENCE STYLE GUIDE
INFORMATION FOR CONTRIBUTING MAGAZINE ARTICLES
We accept unsolicited articles, which we will review for possible inclusion in I AM Modern magazine. Self-promotional articles are prohibited. Articles or inquiries should be submitted to
Articles. When submitting articles, please provide:
All articles must be in Word format.The correct formatting and editing of your document before submitting is important. Please follow our Quick Style Guide. Please spellcheck and proofread carefully for grammatical errors. It helps to have a second set of eyes review your article before submitting. While we do edit to ensure consistency of style, ease of reading and adherence to word count, we will return your article if replete with errors.
• We may choose to use stock graphics/images to accompany your article. If you would like to submit visual elements that you feel will help with your story, make sure all credit is given (and received from) supplier of image. If photo is used, indicate: Photo Courtesy of [XYZ Company].
• Submitted images should be 300dpi (high resolution) at 100% print size and at least 5x7 print size.
• A short personal bio, which will appear at the end of each article, should be submitted with article (if not already on file) and should: 1) be written in third person; 2) be no longer than 30-40 words; and 3) be accompanied by a small headshot (does not have to be high resolution).
• Articles published in I Am Modern magazine are compensated at a rate of $50 per article, by check, which is issued two to three weeks after the issue has hit the streets.
• Articles are to be no less than 750 words, but no more than 1000 words. (Word count does not include bio, headline or subheading.) Articles less than 750 words will be returned or only considered for posting online (no compensation). If submitting a short sidebar article, it should not exceed 100 words. There is no compensation for sidebar articles.
• Some articles may be withheld from publication if space is at a minimum at the time we go to print and may be reserved for an unspecified future issue.
INFORMATION FOR ONLINE CONTRIBUTIONS (www.iammodern.com):
Shorter articles and original blogs can be submitted for publication on our website. There is no compensation for articles submitted for posting on our website, however, the exposure can be invaluable. Postings from your own personal blog are prohibited, however, once your original blog is posted on our site, you are at liberty to re-post it on your personal blog with a link back to our site.
Contributors of online articles should include Metadata information, i.e., a brief description of the article and specific keywords for Search Engine Optimization, and should also include the following keywords: I AM Modern magazine, Lifestyle Magazine, Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C., Women’s Interests.
Contributors are encouraged to create an account at http://mypage.iammodern.com. This will bolster participation in the I AM Modern community as well as facilitate interaction between contributors and readers.
Facebook for Contributors
You are encouraged to join the I AM Modern Contributors Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Iammodern/?fref=ts to get up-to-date information on upcoming issues, deadlines, tips and to socialize with other contributors. Once signing up, we will verify/accept your request to join, which may take a day or two.
Contributors can also create accounts at the following social bookmarking websites and bookmark your contributions: digg.com, stumbleupon.com, diigo.com, delicious.com. These sites increase the likelihood that interested internet users will find your contributions.