Food & Wine
Food, Event and Recipe Reviews
by I AM Modern
for Northern Virginia
The holidays are over (FINALLY!) and if you’re like most of us, you’re trying to (a) lose weight and/or (b) make up for the holiday spending by saving some money. So thanks to Jennifer Haas, registered dietitian from the Nova Medical Group, here’s a way to do both! (Check out the end of this article for some other money saving ideas from Jennifer).
Whole wheat pita bread
1 bag baby carrots
1 bag of apples & oranges
1 can of light tuna in water
1 can of salmon (split for two meals)
1 prepared grilled chicken
3 cans of low-sodium, broth-based soup
1. Don’t drink too early in the evening because you may be tempted to have several drinks, and the calories start to add up.
In mixing tin:
3/4 oz Creme de Cacao
3/4 oz Green Creme de Mint
1/2 oz Bailey’s
Splash of cream
Drizzle a martini glass with chocolate syrup and then pour in mixture. Garnish with a Thin Mint cookie on side of glass.
I will give you a perfect recipe which is easy to make, and the results are always creamy and delicious and it is LOW FAT!!!
If you look at the photo, you won't notice that I didn’t put a crust on this cheesecake. I personally don’t like having a crust on my cheesecake, but you can prepare with crust.
Here is the recipe:
• 1.5 oz Grey Goose® Vodka
• 0.5 oz Cointreau
• 1 oz Pomegranate juice (POM ®)
• Splash of cranberry
• Splash of Sprite®
• Sugar to rim martini glass
• Use cocktail mixing tin and fill with ice
• Add the above ingredients
• Shake and strain
• Pour into sugar-rimmed martini glass and garnish with a lemon.
So, enjoy a great meal on your patio this summer and impress your guests by tossing a table side homemade Caesar salad that is really simple to make and sure to delight. Be certain to make this dressing at the last minute before dinner to ensure it is fresh. In addition, you will showcase the “wowfactor”, as the dinner guests observe your kitchen prowess in mixing up this dressing. Table-Side Fresh Caesar Dressing (Like any good classic steak-house):
• 1 pint glass of ice
• 2 oz Absolut Citron®
• Splash of sour mix
• Splash of grenadine
• Orange and cherry for garnish
• Fill glass with ice
• Add the Absolut Citron®
• Fill rest of pint glass with fresh lemonade
• Add splash of sour mix and splash grenadine
• Garnish with orange and cherry
- Speedy Sangria : easy and quick to make at home
- Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- Chicken for Dessert? You Betcha!
- Twin Color Cookies
- The Bang Bang Theory for Shrimp
- Bill Mckee Cooks Houston’s Artichoke Spinach Dip
- Wine Appreciation
- What to Make for Dinner: Lemon Orzo Tomato Soup Recipe
- Warmer Weather Wines
- Drinking Wine is Good for Everyone
- La Vie En Rose: The New Red
- Go French for the Holidays